Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Now Or Never


These were words I started saying to myself a few months back. Like a personal guide, "Now Or Never" is helping me live a life without regret. As Hafiz has said: (translated, of course)

One regret, dear world,
That I am determined not to have
When I am lying on my deathbed
Is that
I did not kiss you enough.
- Hafiz

Of course, "Now Or Never" is not poetic as Hafiz, but I believe the sentiment is the same. It is about cultivating and sharing your love, in every moment, in every day. It is also about acknowledging, cherishing and following your dreams, kissing the world as it were.

For me, following my (creative) dreams has led me to quit my full-time job as of last week, travel to India as of next week and share my love as of now.

And what are these (creative) dreams that I am following? They come in two parts. Part 1: I want to make fresh to death art, design and photography while financially supporting my family. I also want to be able to teach "disadvantaged" (1) youth of colour creative skills and an appreciation of non-canonized aesthetics. Part 2: It will become clear as I slow down and spend some time away, in India.

In short, life is short, so if you can and you want to, then do it now. And if you can't, but you want to, then prepare to do it and do it when you are ready.

A special thanks to my friends and family who have supported and encouraged me to make art and design. You know who you are and I sure as hell couldn't have taken this step without you. Peace.

[btw: up there is an old collage of my nana, masi, mother and colonial India next to a new sketch of ek onkar.]

Blogs were not meant for footnotes! But here goes anyway:
(1) The "disadvantaged" are ALWAYS advantaged in ways those always/already "advantaged" can never be and can often not understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so nice to hear that.
espeacially from someone that has so much to offer.

cup's up for the 'Future Now' stance!

Related Posts with Thumbnails