Sunday, December 28, 2008

For you, my tears don't stop.




Top: We Have Triumphed, 2008
Middle: You either have it or you don't, 2006
Bottom: nah rukte hain ansoo, 2008

Yesterday, before I heard news of the latest Israeli assault on Gaza, I begin incorporating the words of Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish (1942-2008) into my drawings. His words "We have triumphed over the plan to oust us from history" remind me that erasure of a people is not possible, no matter how many bombs are dropped, how many homes are razed, how many people are systematically starved, and how many history books are written and rewritten. Ironically, today, as Israel attempts once again to oust Palestinians from history, the spirit of those who survive will triumph.

The piece in the middle is a small collage I made a few years back. It was an exercise in response to the famous George W. Bush line: "You are either with or or against us." I cannot DISAGREE more.

The piece on the top is inspired by a Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan qawaali. This line translates as: "The tears don't stop".

The top and bottom works are dedicated to all those that have died from Israeli occupation, state terrorism, violence and aggression, including Palestinians and Arab and Jewish Israelis. For you, my tears don't stop.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails